Mar 8 | 3 min read
As the Index Coop continues to grow, we anticipate an increasing number of decisions will need to be made by $INDEX holders. Active participation in Index Coop governance will be a key driver in helping shape our DAO. And our metagovernance responsibilities will require active participation as well. All Index Coop governance votes are conducted through Snapshot an off-chain, gasless, multi-governance client that facilitates $INDEX holders voting on Index Coop improvement proposals (IIP) and Metagovernance votes. We realize that it may be impossible for $INDEX holders to vote on every proposal that comes through Snapshot which is why we encourage $INDEX holders to delegate voting power to active, governance delegates.
1. Visit the Index Coop Discord server, and head over to the #delegates channel under the governance nest category. You can find a spreadsheet pinned to the chat, with the names of all the delegates, and a brief description of the delegate, as well as a link to their voting history (You can view this manually by going to Boardroom and pasting their ethereum address in the search bar).
2. Once you have decided on a suitable candidate, you can visit the Index Coop Snapshot page. Connect your wallet to snapshot, and select the ‘delegate’ option on the upper left side.
3. Once you are on the delegate page, simply input the address of your chosen delegate, and select ‘confirm’. This will bring up a transaction that occurs on-chain that you will need to sign (this will cost gas).
4. Once the transaction is confirmed, you have successfully delegated your voting power, congratulations.
If you wish to un-delegate your votes at any given time, simply go back to the ‘delegate’ page linked in step 2, a button will appear that allows you to un-delegate and get back your voting power (this will also cost gas).
If you wish to vote on a proposal, you can still do so yourself. Any vote you make on a given proposal will override the vote made by the delegate.
Note that your $INDEX tokens never leave your wallet. The only thing being transferred is the voting power carried by the $INDEX tokens.
Becoming a delegate is easy. Remember, though, that as a delegate, you are expected to be an active participant in Index Coop governance and metagovernance. So you should be sure that you are prepared to invest your time and energy in understanding Index Coop proposals and making informed decisions about how you will vote.
1. Visit the Index Coop Discord server, and head over to the #delegates channel under the Governance Nest category. You can find a spreadsheet pinned to the chat, input the required details, including your discord name, your ethereum wallet address that you will use for voting, and your voting history. Voting history can be found by adding your voting address at the end of this link (https://app.boardroom.info/voter/0x….).
2. Communicate your intention to become a delegate. Delegates are expected to make a formal introduction on the #delegates channel on Discord; as well as on the Index Coop forum. You can also use Twitter to announce your decision to become a delegate, but this step is not required.
3. Once you have become a delegate, you are expected to make a concerted effort to vote as often as you can. You should also take the time to understand what is being proposed and what effect it has on the Index Coop. It is also important to communicate how you will be voting on a proposal. This can be done by leaving a comment on the related forum post. A description of why you have made this decision is also helpful.
4. In the event your address is compromised you should communicate it via the #delegates channel, the delegates spreadsheet and in the forum so that users can un-delegate from your address.
Disclaimer: This content is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice.
Disclaimer: This content is for informational purposes only and is not legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice. You should not take, or refrain from taking, any action based on any information contained herein, or any other information that we make available at any time, including blog posts, data, articles, links to third-party content, discord content, news feeds, tutorials, tweets, and videos. Before you make any financial, legal, technical, or other decisions, you should seek independent professional advice from a licensed and qualified individual in the area for which such advice would be appropriate. This information is not intended to be comprehensive or address all aspects of Index or its products. There is additional documentation on Index’s website about the functioning of Index Coop, and its ecosystem and community.
You shall not purchase or otherwise acquire our restricted tokens if you are: a citizen, resident (tax or otherwise), green card holder, incorporated in, owned or controlled by a person or entity in, located in, or have a registered office or principal place of business in the U.S. (a “U.S. Person”), or if you are a person in any jurisdiction in which such offer, sale, and/or purchase of any of our token products is unlawful, prohibited, or unauthorized (together with U.S. Person, a “Restricted Person”). The term “Restricted Person” includes, but is not limited to, any natural person residing in, or any firm, company, partnership, trust, corporation, entity, government, state or agency of a state, or any other incorporated or unincorporated body or association, association or partnership (whether or not having separate legal personality) that is established and/or lawfully existing under the laws of, a jurisdiction in which such offer, sale, and/or purchase of any of our token products is unlawful, prohibited, or unauthorized). You shall not resell or otherwise transfer our restricted tokens to any Restricted Person. The transfer or resale of our restricted tokens to any Restricted Person is not permitted. Click here to view the list of Tokens Restricted for Restricted Persons. You shall read the Terms of Service and use our tokens and website in compliance with the Terms of Service.
Information is for educational and illustrative purposes only. The Index Cooperative is not engaged in the business of the offer, sale or trading of securities and does not provide legal, tax, or investment advice. Cryptocurrencies and other digital assets are speculative and involve a substantial degree of risk, including the risk of complete loss. There can be no assurance that any cryptocurrency, token, coin, or other crypto asset will be viable, liquid, or solvent.No Index Cooperative communication is intended to imply that any digital assets are low-risk or risk-free. The Index Cooperative works hard to provide accurate information on this website, but cannot guarantee all content is correct, complete, or updated.